Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Unfinished Portrait

During my last semester in college, I was doing a series of Da Vinci inspired paintings and copies for general practice. This unfinished portrait was a detail of the rightmost angel in "Virgin on the Rocks" (the later version now in the National Gallery in London) seen here:


But while working on it, I realized the painting looked very much like my mother in her early twenties. Just to confirm it, I brought it to my family and they agreed. It's not like I carry around a youthful photo of her, so I'm not sure what triggered in my subconscious to make it this way. It remains unfinished to this day because now I'm just not sure what to do with it.

Do I correct it enough to finish the practice? Or do I run with the idea and paint a sepia-toned portrait of my mother as an angel?

Seems oddly Freudian...

2 comments:

  1. All I know is just start working on it again...and you'll find the answer. XD :) Looks really good, if you do work on it some more, please let me know. I would want to see the progression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly. :) Most work I do will be put up here anyway so I can track it myself by date, haha.

    ReplyDelete