Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sloth

There are days when I just need to take time off. No errands, no tasks, no demands.

There will be another train in five minutes, stop running.

The canvas will still be there tomorrow, stop pushing.

So every once in a while, I put down the pencil and go outside. If I'm lucky, it's pleasant enough to go barefoot. I often end up sitting on the steps and just staring out at the horizon. If a change is wanted, I close my eyes and listen.

During these moments, I think about everything. Or nothing. Depends on the day.

This is the closest I get to art without actually doing art. I believe that art is the practice of making a mental concept into a physical image. So naturally, a healthy mind is just as important as a developed skill set.

Although the definition of "healthy mind" is always arguable, particularly with artists.

Every exercise needs a rest and stretch, mental ones are not excluded. So when feeling overly stressed and troubled, just stop. Stop, turn it off, and go outside. I'm not asking you to smile and pretend the problems aren't there, but to take a moment and clear your head. You will lose a bit of time, but it's much easier to take on something without a cluttered brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment