Thursday, February 26, 2009

Conductor

I was once told that I draw like a conductor.

Thinking back on my own gesture drawings, the comment was pretty on-mark. A baton has a lot of power in it, even though it isn't the actual producer of the music. It's direction and discipline. Held with a practiced, but flowing gesture.

I recall instinctive straight lines with small flourishes on the ends. Curls instead of points. Attempting accuracy without coldness.

I'm actually very jealous of those with musical talent. Notes and sounds can be universally understood and move people without the benefit of common language. So art became my instrument. I haven't quite fine tuned it yet, but I keep practicing and learning. Listening to those who came before me. The goal isn't a bigger audience, but to create a sound that resonates.

No comments:

Post a Comment