Monday, August 16, 2010

Envy


"Make her with her face covered by a mask of fair seeming; show her as wounded in the eye by a palm branch and by an olive-branch, and wounded in the ear by laurel and myrtle, to signify that victory and truth are odious to her[...] Make her heart gnawed by a swelling serpent."
- Leonardo da Vinci on the personification of Envy

Da Vinci had like ten more attributes to her but the mask, branches, and serpent are the ones I recall easiest. Envy is my first muse because genuine jealousy was really what made me want to get better at art. It's hard to be surrounded by artists in both textbooks and studios and not think, "I want that. I want to do that. I am willing to dedicate years of my life to be able to do that." So I picked up a pencil and started.

1 comment: